Using the Web Help Desk System
First, point your browser (any browser) to http://whd.tcnj.edu and log in. This system uses the same login that you use for your TCNJ email account. Note that only current students, faculty, and staff have access to the system: Alumni accounts do not have access, nor do department/generic/organization accounts.
Once logged in, you’ll be presented with the Help Request screen (see below). Simply fill out this form, and click the “Save” button in the lower right, and your incident ticket will be submitted.
The various requests types available to you are:
- Applicant Issues and Questions – This issue forwards directly to the Admissions office and should be used only for student issues pertaining to the applicant system
- Media & AV Equipment – This covers teaching computers in classrooms and associated projection, sound, and video equipment. It also covers the Computers on Wheels (COWs) which get delivered around campus. It does not cover student use computers in classrooms and labs. All tickets entered under this Request Type forward directly to the media technicians for immediate action.
- Student Technology Issues – Anything from virus/quarantine issues, to cable television problems in the residences, to bad network jacks, to wireless questions. For student use only: commuter or resident, undergrad or graduate. All tickets entered under this Request Type forward directly to the ResNet office in Green Hall. When entering a ticket of this type, do not fill out the Login, Password, Accessories, Warranty, Software or Hardware sections: those will be filled in by a ResNet technician if needed. Note: Not for password/login problems – for calls of this type, use IT Issues & Requests.
- Telecommunications – Faculty/Staff Phones, Voicemail, Cell Phones. Whether in offices or classrooms. Note that this does NOT cover student owned phones, however it does cover college owned phones in student residences. Students wishing to set up email on their phones should contact the ResNet office directly. Tickets entered under this Request Type forward directly to the Telecommunications Office.
- Help Desk Issues & Requests – A general category for any issues not covered by the other categories. All Requests of this type forward to the Help Desk for either resolution, or escalation to support specialists or other Information Technology Staff.
Note that several of the request types require you to select a secondary issue. Please be sure to do this, or you won’t be able to submit your ticket.
For all tickets, please enter as much request detail as possible in the space provided. Include especially any troubleshooting steps you may have taken before opening the call. Note that the less information you provide here, the more likely it is that you will receive a follow-up call from the Help Desk requesting more detail in order to assist you properly.
The “Carbon Copy” field allows you to send a copy of your Help Request to another person, outside of the Information Technology department. This could be a co-worker, supervisor, or anyone else you wish to keep informed. If you opt to enter an email address in this field, be sure to select the “Enabled” check box to the right before clicking “Save”.
Attachments – Web Help Desk allows you to easily attach screen shots, documents, or anything else that you feel will assist us in resolving your issue.
Location is a required field, and it need not be your actual office/residence hall location. If you’re putting in a help request for an issue in a lab, simply select the building and room number from the list provided.
Other Options in Web Help Desk
Along the top of the Web Help Desk screen there is a series of buttons (see below). Each of these allows you access to different parts of the Web Help Desk system, as described below.
Request – This is the screen described above, which allows you to enter a Help Request Ticket.
History – This brings you to a screen where you can see a history of all of your Request Tickets, both open and closed. You can access any of your open tickets, and add note to them if you wish, by clicking on the number of the ticket (see image, below), and then clicking on the “Add Note” button at the bottom right. Just like when opening a new ticket, you have the option to add an attachment, and to add an email address to be notified outside of Information Technology. When finished updating, just click “Save”.
FAQs – Brings you to the Frequently Asked Questions section of the Web Help Desk system. You can search through the questions by entering a keyword such as “email” or “printer” and the system will find all of the question/answer combinations that include this keyword. If there is a question that you have which is not answered in this section, please feel free to suggest it to us. You can actually do this right through Web Help Desk. Open a new ticket with a request type of “Information Technology Issues & Requests” and select “Bad link on a website or FAQ”, and then fill out the detail of the question you’d like answered on the site.
Messages – The Web Help Desk system allows technicians to communicate with you directly via the system. If you see an indicator next to the Messages button, this means you have a message in the system. Simply click the button to read.
Profile – This is the profile for you in the Web Help Desk system. It will have your name, email address, extension, department, building and room number. If any information in this system is incorrect, please contact Human Resources (not Information Technology) to have it changed, as we pull all of this data nightly from HR’s Employee Information System (EIS).
Logout – This button allows you to exit the system. If you don’t log out, the system will automatically log you out after 30 minutes of inactivity.